The Global Volunteer Network currently has opportunities for teaching English through our partner organization in China. Volunteers are greatly needed to help school students improve their English skills so that they have a much better chance of securing employment in later life. At the same time volunteers will be given the opportunity to immerse themselves in urban Chinese life.
Yantai is a coastal region on the eastern tip of the Shandong Peninsula, located in Northern China, across the Yellow Sea from Japan.
The China program is unique to the programs GVN is associated with as it works with a sector of Chinese society where the need is not to help alleviate poverty but to assist middle class students to become bilingual and address a linguistic need. Global Volunteer Network\’s objective is to connect communities in need. The need in the China Program is for volunteers to teach English as the Chinese nation has an objective to become bilingual in the next decade. These young adults\’ employment prospects are also greatly improved by their ability to speak English and in turn this will bring a wider variety of opportunities for them in life.
You\’ll find that the schools are relatively well resourced with modern facilities. This program is ideal for volunteers who wish to experience the Chinese culture and help Chinese students to learn English in a city with a well developed infrastructure.
The type of teaching you\’ll be expected to do will consist of helping the students practice comprehension and pronunciation. You may be needed to do a little more, but if so, you\’ll be guided by the teachers and school principal. You are the sole teacher in the classroom. There are Chinese teachers of English in the schools that also take the students for English focussing on other aspects of the language. For this reason your lessons should have a practical approach focusing on comprehension and building confidence in the students\’ English speaking skills. This program is located in Shandong Province and you can teach conversational English at a primary or secondary level.
As a volunteer teacher in China you must:
- be a native speaker of English
- be at least 18 years old – the upper age limit is 65 years
- have no health problems
- be enthusiastic and motivated
- be from Australia, Canada, Europe, Ireland, UK, USA, New Zealand, or Singapore
* Please note that for this program you do not need to be a teacher or to have had any experience teaching English, however we will be assessing any experience that you have had in instructing children and young people. We will also be noting any leadership qualities you have, such as confidence in large group settings, ability to work independently, self motivation, and enthusiasm about working in an unknown environment. Remember that your greatest skill is your knowledge of the English language and you will pass this on to your students during your time on placement.
If you are interested in joining this project and would like further information, please click here
To view other Global Volunteer Network projects, please visit their website http://www.globalvolunteernetwork.org/