A chatbot is an artificial intelligence-based assistant that communicates in real time with users via text or voice messages. Although they perform well in conversations and are able to respond immediately, in addition to possessing a greater amount of information, they are quantifiably worse than real teachers on several pedagogical dimensions.
In an area as practical as physical-sports education, affective feedback, physical demonstrations and help are essential elements in which artificial intelligence does not yet stand out over human beings.
But it does highlight the usefulness of chatbots to promote healthy habits and their pedagogical possibilities in Physical Education.
Weakness diagnoses and progress reports
Chatbots can help quickly diagnose the weaknesses of each athlete . For example, answering questions about a given person’s physical activity level, preferences, and limitations and identifying areas in which they lack knowledge or motivation to exercise regularly. This allows trainers to design personalized exercise programs.
You can also prepare a detailed report of your progress in a specific sports performance. These reports can help coaches identify areas where athletes are improving and where they need more attention.
ChatGPT already creates personalized training plans in minutes, adapted to the client’s objectives and limitations, such as minimizing the impact on sports injuries. It also makes it easy to create detailed scripts for videos that explain training techniques or the use of gym equipment.
Unexpected challenges and injury prevention
Coaches can design unexpected challenges for athletes thanks to artificial intelligence. For example, they can use the chatbot to create surprise exercise routines based on the individual preferences and abilities of the athletes, thus generating unpredictability in sports practice .
This would keep physical exercise exciting and challenging, encouraging athletes to participate more actively in exercise.
The chatbot can also be used in the healthcare field to provide personalized guidance on prescribing safe and effective physical exercises for people with specific medical conditions .
For example, an athlete with heart problems, obesity, or a physical or sensory injury can interact with the chatbot to provide an exercise plan adapted to their medical needs, guaranteeing a safe approach to improving their health through exercise. physical.
Pedagogical possibilities in Physical Education
The contributions of artificial intelligence in the school environment are similar to the previous ones. Can be used for:
- Analyze students’ technique and provide real-time feedback to improve their engagement and motivation.
- Create scoring and classification systems for tournaments and sports competitions.
- Monitor student participation and engagement in physical education.
- Assess students’ emotional and physical responses to different forms of physical activity and sports.
These are some examples of activities in which you can count on the help of ChatGPT :
- Design a certain number of activities to work on physical fitness for a given grade level.
- Design a motor story (narrative that combines a story with physical activity that the students must perform) with the characteristics that we ask for: duration, characters, types of skills to develop.
- Create questions about a text for students to answer after reading it.
- Create games or contests on a topic, for example, “Act as a primary school Physical Education teacher and do a trivia about gymnastics schools using a list of questions.”
On the other hand, the use of ChatGPT stands out in the four most representative content blocks of Physical Education:
- Physical condition and health . It can provide online health and fitness information and advice, such as nutrition advice, exercise recommendations, and personalized training programs. It can also be used to answer questions about health and fitness-related topics, such as how to prevent injuries and illnesses related to physical activity. Or information about tests to evaluate some basic physical ability
- Games and sports . It can be used to provide online feedback and advice on specific sports techniques and skills, such as shooting technique in basketball or swing in golf.
- Activities in the natural environment . It can provide detailed information about different safe or challenging routes and places of interest in the natural environment. It can also be used to give recommendations on the equipment and materials needed for different activities in the natural environment.
- Body expression . You can provide inspiration and suggestions to help students be more creative in implementing body language techniques. For example, you can advise on different dance styles or art forms that can inspire students to create their own work. On the other hand, it can also provide cultural and historical context for the movements and gestures used in bodily expression. For example, it can provide information about the history and culture behind certain types of dances and dances, which can help students better understand their meaning and context.
Limitations of use
Regarding the limitations of using ChatGPT , there are built-in gender, racial and geopolitical biases, which can influence your responses and generate biased content. Likewise, other equally important biases stand out:
- Lack of understanding of the real world: Lacks context about the world outside of language, such as interaction in the real world.
- Recency bias: Language models can have recency bias, guiding responses to the most recent published content, ignoring literature from previous years.
- Limitations in the entry structure: in its free version you cannot submit longer documents or structured entries, such as tables.
- Inability to correct itself: Being an autoregressive model, it cannot correct its errors once it starts making them, which can lead to a cascade of errors in the generated text.
Taking into account that these types of programs work with commands or prompts (instructions, questions or texts that are used to interact with them) it is necessary to do so taking into account a series of issues.
Finally, note that ChatGPT empathizes with the user if emotional signals are incorporated into the prompt , being faster and more effective under pressure, mentioning that it is an urgent situation. In short, the instruction must be clear and specific to obtain more accurate and useful responses. Additionally, it is always advisable to review and adapt the responses generated to ensure that they conform to specific educational standards, levels and requirements.
Author Bio: Joel Manuel Prieto Andreu is a College Professor. Physical Education Specialty at UNIR – International University of La Rioja